Flamingos. The quintessence of femininity in the colors of love.
After the enamel Irises watch premiere, which won the nomination in the CH24.pl portal’s Watch of the Year contest, we have started to work on another project. The new watch is called POLPORA Flamingos and is made in a very advanced enamel technique, and its first pieces have just been released.
Champeleve – the technique by no means as easy as ABC
When we started working on a model that was supposed to be one of the most sophisticated elements of the Muse collection, we decided to use one of the most difficult techniques in watchmaking enamel – high-temperature enamel in painting technique, called champeleve in French. This technique is based on the precise placement of subsequent color layers in the previously made disc recesses. Due to the craftmanship required in this technique, it has been so far the domain of the most luxurious Swiss brands.
The most difficult colors to make in high-temperature enamels are pinks and reds, therefore we have taken up the challenge and have decided to prepare the project whose main color line will be these colors. 34 colors placed in 41 „flutes” were used on the dial – says Aleksandra Budzisz, who watches over the artistic side of the project.
Two years of design work and testing
Intensive design works, technological and material tests lasted over 2 years. The first stage of the extremely time-consuming enameling process was to prepare enamels by crumbling them, and then working on the colors applied and fired in the kiln for 14 days. Each enamel consist of at least a dozen layers, each kilned separately. In the Flamingos project it is necessary to perform as many as 18 firings in the kiln with a temperature of approx. 800 degrees Celsius. 4 types of high-temperature enamels were used in the dial design – from transparent, giving the impression of stained glass color, to opaque – fully covering the golden base.
In order to obtain the proper saturation and imitation of the colors, the metal base had to be specially prepared. For this purpose, we have developed a proprietary method of alloy preparation and purification. The dial base in its final form is made of a gold alloy specially prepared for enamel with a purity of 750 (18 karats). – explains Tomasz Cerbiński, the owner.
Swiss movement, diamonds and luxury strap
The heart of the Flamingos project is a traditional Swiss automatic movement with a premium finish, a characteristic black rotor, orate discs and blue screws. We can observe its grand working through the glazed case back. A natural diamond with a diamond cut is embedded in each of the 12 hour markers. The bezel is made of solid 18-karat gold, and the Manufacture logo is imprinted on the inner side of the scratch-resistant sapphire glass.
The whole is complemented by a luxury golden strap made of natural lizard leather, fixed to the case with characteristic decorative screws which have replaced classic telescopes. Each of the 50 pieces of this limited series is delivered in a unique package, handcrafted from exotic mahogany wood and characteristic fabric.
The unique value of the watch is confirmed by the certificate of the Polish Assay Office (determining the total mass of gold), as well as the certificate of quality and mass of brilliants and the enamel certificate signed by the artist responsible for making the dial in the purchased piece herself.
MOVEMENT / FUNCTIONS
- Swiss Sellita SW 200-1 movement
- Elabore automatic movement
- Ornate movement and rotor
- About 40h power reserve
- Impact-protection system
- 26 jewels
DIAL / HANDS
- Dial base made of solid 18K yellow gold
- Dial made in high-temperature enamel paint technique (champeleve),
- 12 diamonds with diamond cut embedded in hour markers
- Skeletal gold-colored hands
- Case thickness: 9.5 mm
- Bezel made entirely of 18K yellow gold, highly polished
- Polished and satin 316L stainless steel
- Shortened lugs in vintage style facilitating comfortable wear of the watch even on thinner wrists
- Case diameter without the crown: 35 mm
- Crown embossed and signed with logo
- Water resistance: 5 ATM (50m)
BEZEL / CASE BACK
- Anti-reflective sapphire glass
- Glazed and engraved case back
- Strap width: 18 mm
- Natural hardened lizard leather in the color of shimmering gold
- Classic steel clasp, polished steel covered with gold-colored PVD
- Total weight: 58.44 g
- Total mass of 18K gold: approx. 17.15 g confirmed by the certificate of the Assay Office
- Brilliants: 12 pieces, total mass of 0.16 ct